Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ososi

Genre: Padam | Raga: Mukhari | Tala: Chapu | Composer: Kshetrayya

Quite unlike the usual protagonist of a padam/javali, here the poet assumes himself the hero rather than the heroine. Distraught by his lover's indifference, he is at the brink of hopelessness

Pallavi:
kAshiki poyyEnE nIvala nE kASiki poyyEnE
It is because of you that I had to go to Kashi

Anupallavi
OsOsi nAmadinunnayaTTi nIdu ASalella nirAsha jEsukoni tO
Oh dear! All your hopes on me are forlorn!

Charanam

1. muddugumma mana middaru gUDiyunna muddu naTEshwara mUrtigE
delusune suddulincukayunna sudatirO talacaka addu cEsi nAtO palukavu
Oh sweetheart! The lord knows about the kiss we shared together. Delicate lady, why then are you refusing to talk with me?

2. E tIrunainanu prIti sEyuDuvani pAtaki nE tsAla bhramasi tirugucuNTi
rAti manasugala nAti nI vanucunu nE teliyaka mOsa bOyi vEsAriti 
I roamed around praying to the Lord, for you to love me as before! Little did I know that your heart is one of stone. My hopes are shattered!

3. cakkagAnu nAtO santOSamuga nIvu oka mATADitE takkuvaDE nIku
ikkaDi bhrAnticE illAlini bAsi dikku desayu lEka tirigi tirigi rOsi 
Under the illusion that you will merrily speak with me at least once, I left  my wife and now am roaming around without any direction!

6 comments:

Neelesh Shah said...

beautiful... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jKIcnAwSyc at around 50 minutes...

Dpinvogue said...

Hi Thank you for the helpful translation - I am interested in the padam Rama Rama Pranasakhi ....If you could help with that I would be very grateful.

carnaticizer said...

The lyrics is offensive and backward

Vichu said...

Indian societies were not dogmatic and 'backward' like the western societies as most people(including Indians) think.

Sethu Subramanian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sethu Subramanian said...

This padam glorifies the illicit love that the man has towards a woman after leaving his wife (it does not say he divorced her, if that was possible in ancient times at least not legally). But the other woman does not return his love---what we call "ஒரு தலைக் காதல்" in Thamizh.

Post a Comment